The Rev. Dr. Ruppert L. Lovely died on May 3, 2012. He was 78 years old.
The Rev. Dr. Lovely was born in East Greenwich, RI on May 9, 1933 to the Rev. Napoleon W. and Doris Mae (Johnson) Lovely. Rev. Lovely attained his Bachelor of Arts degree from Tufts University in 1963 and his Bachelor of Divinity as well as his Doctor of Divinity from Meadville Lombard Theological School in 1966 and 1998, respectively.
Rev. Lovely was ordained by the Countryside Unitarian Universalist Fellowship in Palantine, IL on October 7, 1966. There, he held the office of parish minister for 35 years, not counting the 18 months he served as a student minister prior to accepting the full-time call to the pulpit. After his retirement from Countryside, he accepted an interim position with the First Unitarian Church of St. Louis, MO from 2001-2003.
Working together with Countryside UU church members to raise funds and devise a plan that resulted in the construction in of the beautiful Countryside Church in Palatine, was one of the highlights of Rev. Lovely's working years. It was a milestone in his life and in the life of the church.
Throughout his life, Rev. Lovely was a faithful Boston Red Socks fan. No daily activity ever took precedence over watching Red Socks games during baseball season. He was also an avid reader, John Irving novels being among his favorite books. He loved music, especially classical and jazz. He was even known to leave the stereo or radio on all day so that when he returned, he would be greeted by music.
A long-time member of Prairie Group, Rev. Lovely was known, loved, and respected by many. Described as "candid, big-hearted, humorously realistic, brimming with energy and enthusiasm for the ministry," Rev. Lovely's "gracious and generous spirit," as well as his "solid sense of tradition and firm voice" endeared him to many who came to call him a friend.
Rev. Lovely is survived by his wife, Patricia Mumm-Lovely; his daughter, Jessica Lovely and husband, Jason DeSwarte; daughter, Karen Lovely and husband, Michael Leach; Sister Alicia Lovely; and grandchildren, Eli Lovely; Elijah Lovely; Grace Umek; and Jordan DeSwarte. He was predeceased by son, Kirk Lovely; and brother, the Rev. Dr. Brandoch Lovely.
A memorial service for the Rev. Dr. Lovely was held at the Countryside Unitarian Universalist Church, 1025 N. Smith St., Palatine, IL 60067 on Saturday, June 16, 2012 at 11:00 a.m. Notes of condolence may be sent to Mrs. Patricia Mumm-Lovely, 933 W. Heritage Ct., Apt. 101, Mequon, WI 53092
The Rev. Dr. John F. "Jack” Hayward died on September 24, 2012. He was 94 years old.
Rev. Hayward was born in Winthrop, MA on May 8, 1918 to Catherine and Frank Hayward. He graduated with an A.B. from Harvard University in 1940. He went on to attain a B.D. from Meadville Theological School in 1943 and a Ph.D. from the University of Chicago Divinity School in 1949. Finally, in 1968, he earned a D.D. from Meadville Lombard Theological School.
Rev. Hayward was ordained on June 10, 1943. He served as a military chaplain in the United States Naval Reserve and later, in the Marines, from 1943-1946. He was called to serve as minister of the First Unitarian Church in Columbus, OH from 1948-1951. He then began his career in higher education at the University of Chicago, serving as an Assistant Professor of Religion and Art from 1951-1956 and as an Assistant Professor of Philosophical Theology from 1956-1961. He went on to work as an Associate Professor of Theology at Meadville Lombard Theological School from 1961-1968. In the years spanning 1968-1983, he served as the Chair of the Department of Religious Study at Southern Illinois University. He retired in 1983.A passionate writer on the power of the ongoing relationship between art, mythology and religious life, Rev. Hayward’s words were published in Through the Rose Window: Art, Myth and the Religious Imagination (Skinner House, 1980), a collection of sermons that span over 30 years. Earlier in his career, he also wrote Existentialism and Religious Liberalism (Beacon Press, 1962).
Rev. Hayward was a proud, founding member of Prairie Group. He served as the Scribe for over 20 years, and received Emeritus status from them upon his retirement from the group after 54 years.
Rev. Hayward’s chief delight while at Harvard University was being in the Harvard Glee Club. He sang in public concerts, including a few with the Boston Symphony. A life-long devotion to the arts – specifically classical music – led Rev. Hayward and his first wife, Muriel Sternglanz Hayward, to establish the Southern Illinois Chamber Music Society, which still performs at the Carbondale Unitarian Fellowship today.
Regarding a performance of Hamlet that he attended when he was much younger, Rev. Hayward once wrote,
I can still see in my mind’s eye an almost totally dark stage where an invisible Hamlet was speaking with the equally invisible ghost of his royal father. All of heaven, hell, life, and death had to be visualized by the movement of Hamlet’s two small hands. Nevertheless, the eloquence was there to prove it possible that each of us, before we die, may hope to believe that life is beautiful, terrifying, and self-justifying, and that gratitude for life itself is our best way of saying farewell.
Rev. Hayward is survived by his loving wife, Lois Hayward; daughter, Miriam Hayward and her husband, Rick Herbert; son, David Goodward and his wife, Margaret; grandchildren, Megan Hayward, Zachary Hayward, Joseph Herbert, Gina Hayward, Gavin Goodward, and Jenna Goodward; and great-grandson, Jaden. He was predeceased by his sons, Peter Hayward and Steven Hayward; and his beloved first wife, Muriel Sternglanz Hayward. Notes of condolence may be sent to Lois Hayward at 1020 Villa Ct., Carbondale, IL 62901
Jack was a long-time memer of Prairie Group.
Prairie Group members will enjoy the pictures of Jack’s and Muriel’s home, also the Carbondale Church and the eulogy to Jack written by Ron Dirsmith, architect of North Shore Unitarian Church, the Hayward’s home and the new Carbondale Unitarian Fellowship. Jack spoke at the dedication of the sanctuary of North Shore Unitarian Church in 1969.